Did you know that in 2016 there were 1,342,000 fires reported across the US? According to the National Fire Protection Association, 352,000 of those were home fires. While Wisconsin homeowners are used to protecting their homes against inclement weather, it’s also important to remember fire safety as well. As your choice local independent insurance agents in the Big Bend area, we want to make sure that you and your loved ones are prepared for the worst. So in addition to investing in a quality home insurance policy, we recommend following a few extra safety precautions as well.
Protect Your Family: Avoid These 7 Common Causes of Home Fires
1. Cooking Accidents
Every year thousands of home fires begin in the kitchen, but you can keep your loved ones safe by following a few simple steps every time you cook. Remember to keep hand towels and pot holders away from the stove top as you cook, as they can easily go up in flames. Additionally, if a grease fire starts, don’t try to put it out with water. Instead, smother the flames or use a fire extinguisher.
Lighting candles is a great way to add a cozy atmosphere to just about any room in your home, but candles can also be very dangerous as well. Whenever you burn candles, it’s important that you do so on a fire-safe surface or in an approved container. You should also light candles away from flammable fabrics and never leave them burning unattended.
3. Space Heaters
Portable space heaters are a common sight in most Wisconsin homes during the fall and winter months. They are great for heating individual rooms in your home and cutting back on your utility costs but they should never be left running unattended in a room. Additionally, make sure they’re set up away from fabrics and furniture if they accidentally tip over.
4. Flammable Liquids
Whether you have a lot of great cleaning solutions around your house or you have extra paint laying around after your last DIY project, storing them away properly can help to avoid a fire breaking out. Any rags that were used with flammable liquids like paint, solvents of oil should also be cleaned and disposed of after each use.
5. Dry Vents
One common chore that seems to be overlooked quite often is cleaning out the dryer vents regularly. Unfortunately, when heat and dryer lint combine, they can easily ignite and cause roaring flames to break out. So be sure to clean your vents after each use.
6. Outdoor Cooking
The ability to grill out in your backyard is probably one of the best perks of owning your own home. But if you aren’t careful, your grill can be a major fire risk. Remember to keep your grill at a safe distance from your house and other buildings when it’s in use to avoid burning more than just your burgers.
If you or any of your guests smoke cigarettes, it is a good idea to smoke outside only. If cigarettes aren’t extinguished properly, they can very easily cause plastic ashtrays or nearby fabrics to ignite. Additionally, burning cigarettes or cigars should never be left unattended and when you’re finished, make sure to dispose of them in a fire-safe container.
Invest in Comprehensive Home Insurance Today
Want to keep your home and family protected in the event of a fire? Visit Smith Insurance and Financial Services online for more information and be sure to request a quote today.